- Project Type: Commercial
- Client: Private
- Status: Planning
- Location: Maidstone
A conversion of an Historical Grade II listed pump house into an three storey office building, including a modern yet sympathetic roof extension.
The Works building in East Farleigh was built in 1860 by James Pilbrow. It was originally a water works pump house building, built in an Egyptian style. The building has been altered many times over the decades and originally had a very tall obelisk chimney stack (now removed). The building has battered clasping buttresses on the corners with intermediate buttresses and large cornice that enhance the Egyptian feel.
Designed with Intent
The new extension references this through an upwards extension with a centrally located light slot which mirrors the two brick sections of the original building. The tapered form references Pylons such as those at Karnac and Luxor and continues the
85 degree angle of the clasped buttresses of the 19th century original.
The extension sits behind the cornice of the original building as if it extrudes up from the original. The heavy rendered cornice is the dividing point between the old and the new. The extension will be a light weight framed structure, in contrast to the heavy masonry of original building. The form will be predominantly glazed to the North East and South West while retaining the monolithic faces to the North West and South East.
Back to top